The Kalam Effect

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Women & Temple and Astrology

Astrologically they say Mars is in transit, while the transit into Saturn gives life/pregnancy or loss of blood in a Women's horoscope. That is why you might see varied periods, in women.

Since some power is controlling us, I am not tying everything with Astrology here. This brings the question of precaution, and for believers, they can see the planetary transits and take care of their health, long distance travels etc.

Even in Panchangs you can see the onset of Mars transit happens once in 28 days, combined with Moon.

So to ensure women get rest and devoid of themselves from doing grueling Puja's those days, tradtion was brought in to ensure they are taken care. I have seen a friends wife, staying away at home on a menstrual day, instead of going to the compuslory Church visit on a Sunday.

As a benefited member of getting Dheeksha from Amma herself directly/personally, I have heard from many folks connected to her, that from young age, she did not take rest for any days at all. She stay away from hugging, only when she is sick in the human body.

I have asked Amma why women are kept away during mensus time and her answer was, very logical. Penance make women weak and while during mensus the body is actually cleansing the uterus, so needs more oxygen, which will not be available is the crowded closed temples. Also those days, the tradition was not to have toilets inside temple, in case of mishaps to cleanup, since there were no sanitary pad items.

There is one village closer to Yelagiri hills near Salem, where I have seen tribes having a "Muttu" room, where women are left alone during their periods.

While Banguru Swamy Adigalar at Mel Maruvathur, who has been blessed by Ambal, allows anybody to do Puja etc. Thats why RED is so spread there. Well you are expected to take bath atleast before you go to Moola Sthan.

I have visited Guruvayoor, Udupi and Trichendur and found that men as expected to remove shirt to enter temple. Out of curiosity, I have asked many elders on this tradition. (1) to see the sacred thread, that allows priority seva and need be they can be of some help in Puja (2) any visible skin disease that might be spread, which would make people stay away from crowd.

Even my mother at Calcutta, did not go near Puja area but cooked for me and elder sister, till sister was capable of handling things at kitchen. She used to eat well and sleep. Once my sister entered medical college, I could see the traditions vanish a bit.

Whenever I left home for college/work, the whole family used to see me off at Railway station. At times, I used to see my mother or sister missing, and I understood that they are avoiding public space and crowd for obvious reasons. (exclusion, I think, when I first went abroad for work, they came to Airport).

Ayurveda advices lots of Coconut water, if you can afford or lime juice with sugar and salt.

Methi leaves and seed soaked water gives relief to the uterus. Plenty of rest is advised.

No comments: