The Kalam Effect

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Vegetarian

Vegetarianism. Gandhism. I have had the same experience like Gandhi.

Even though we are Mahars, of Ambedkar caste, some subsects are vegetarians, and my grandfathers side, was strictly vegetarians, after the ancestors became followers of Shankaracharya itseems! My grandfather Shri Laxman Tendulkar, was well trained in vedas, while living in Kolhapur. He had a day time job in a shoeshop.

This reason, made us to be vegetarians. It changed, when my dad moved after his engineering degree for work in a small steel plant at Calcutta. He got hooked onto fish, which was considered vegetarian that side. Jala pusph. So after marraige, we were sort of brought up as seafoodarians. No eggs still. Everyday, my dad had to have fish. Fish is dangerous, beyong a certain quantity and doesnt mix with diary products.

So once I went to IIT, I was sort of forced to non veg, anything goes culture came into being, as there were too many restrictions on veg food. This continued in Ahmedabad too, when I was doing my PG. I had toned down to fish only then.

When I made my first trip for work, at a training in Delhi for 2 weeks, we figured out about the veg and non veg fried rice and biriyanis getting made in same Tava. So what is the fun in insisting?

While making my trips to US, I was able to survive with veg food alone. Mostly NY side. 1991 to 1994.

My wife, does not mind me eating non veg outside house. We still dont cook at home including eggs. My daughter and son are pure veg. Occassionally I end up eating somewhere while sharing with friends.

There is no proof on advantages of veg or non veg, but definitely there is life that trees plants have as proved well.

No comments: